May 26, 2013

Thin Girls

I’m not going to lie, I like thin girls. I fully realize that our emphasis on being skinny is problematic for women and girls in our society, that we’re giving them terrible body image issues with our emphasis on being thin, but it doesn’t change the fact that I prefer thin girls over fat ones. I am part of the problem, I admit it.

And lest I be mistaken, I’m admitting this with shame, not proclaiming it with pride. I’m ashamed of the fact that women and girls feel so bad, and that I’m part of the problem. I am making an admission, not trying to make a statement by throwing aside political correctness.

I even admit that this is a problem I don’t fully understand (which doesn’t make it any less real of a problem – a mistake many men make). The vast majority of men I see in movies and on television are better looking than me, but it doesn’t give me a complex. The pressures we put on women in this society are are vastly different from the pressures we put on men, in both type and vehemence. Nobody cares that I’m no George Clooney (I’m just a close second), I can still get laid pretty easily. Hell, put a guy in a suit and he’s halfway to being attractive just by that fact alone. Women, on the other hand, have intense pressure to conform to every aspect of society’s preferences for beauty, even the ones which contradict each other. (e.g. girls should be very thin but have big, bouncy breasts and asses.)

All of this to say that I was disgusted to find out that modelling agencies have been hovering, vulture-like, around Swedish eating disorder clinics, trying to recruit anorexic girls as models. What is wrong with us, as a society, that this idea even occurred to someone, let alone got carried out?

No comments:

Post a Comment